Sunday, July 30, 2006

Simple Toor Dal Gravy : Pappu Pulusu


I never knew I was a foodie, till I left home to pursue a career. Being away from home and from homemade food made me realise, like all others before me, how much I loved and missed homemade Indian food.

I have started this blog in an attempt to share the recipes which I have gathered, tried and tested and learnt from my mom and mom-in-law.

Born in Tamil Nadu, brought up in Karnataka, married to a wonderful person from Vijayawada, and currently living in US has given me immense opportunities to taste different cusines. Each as diverse as the culture from which it comes from......

Let me start with a simple dal recipe which has been in my family for ages....

Toor Dal - 1 cup
Dry Red Chillies - 4 to 5
Tomato - 1 small one cut into small cubes
Onion - 1 small one cut into small cubes
Garlic - 4 medium flakes
Tamarind - Appr. half a lemon size
Turmeric - a pinch
Water - 2 1/3 cups
Oil - A couple of tablespoons
For Seasoning, Curry leaves + Vadiyam(Vadagam) or Mustard seeds and Jeera

Pressure cook Toor dal, Dry Red Chillies, Tomato, Onion, Garlic with a pinch of Turmeric and a drop of oil. Add tamarind water and let the curry simmer for 5 minutes. Finish off with a seasoning of curry leaves , mustard leaves and jeera or use vadiyam(vadagam).
This recipe is so simple and so comforting on a rainy day. To me, its more than just a simple dal curry, its a concotion of warm, loving memories.

3 comments:

Vidhya Rajesh said...

hi There!
I thought I would start reading your posts from the 1st one.
You know, i find it so strange - almost all the food blogs I have been to start off with the dhal... and why not ? It is probably the only dish that is made by almost every part of india!

So , you seem to be a proper southie :) having a part of all 3 states :P ....

Vidya Shiva said...

hi
i just wanted to tell u tht i love tht movie Mouna Ragam too even though i cant speak tamil.i absolutely adore revathi in tht movie.grt recipes.keep smiling.god bless.

Asha said...

Hi Chandrika, Tuar dal saaru sounds delicious:) Great comfort food for cold winter day.

Keep it up,I am little tired all the sweets these days.Smabhar is a wonderful change. But Christmas is coming,got to bake some cookies:D