Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Black-Eyed Beans Curry

Black Eyed Beans Curry
Black- Eyed beans are known as alsandhalu in Telugu and karamani in Tamil. Black-eyed beans are rich in soluble fiber, which helps to eliminate cholesterol from the body. They are a good source of folate, potassium, copper, phosphorous and manganese. As a high-potassium, low-sodium food they help reduce blood pressure.

Way back in my grandmother's village, on one of my numerous childhood visits with cousins and sisters, there used to be this fun, campfire sort of snack. Fresh picked alsandhalu would be roasted in the dying embers of the afternoon fire. The result - smoky flavoured, smooth textured beans ready to be devoured. In our excitement to get to the goodies, we kids used to burn our tender fingers trying to open the hot outer casings, only to be chided affectionately. It was a simple snack, the preparation alone providing the much needed entertainment to kids holidaying in a remote village.

Today, I have no dying embers in my kitchen, but my memory is still fresh and if I close my eyes I can almost smell the smoked beans.

For our Sunday meal, I made a curry out of Alsandhalu. It's a lively sort of recipe with tanginess and spiciness going hand in hand and goes very well with rice, rotis and ragi mudda.


Recipe Source: My Mom

Recipe:

Ingredients:

Black- Eyed Beans - 1 Cup

Garlic - 4 - 5 flakes - Crushed
Tamarind - A gooseberry sized ball
Onion - 3/4th of a big onion - Finely Chopped
Tomato - 1 and 1/2 of a medium tomato - Finely Chopped

Curry Leaves - 5
Mustard seeds - 1/2 Teaspoon
Jeera - 1/2 Teaspoon
Fenugreek Seeds/Vendhayam/Menthulu - A few

Turmeric - a Pinch
Chilli powder - 1 Teaspoon
Dhaniya Powder - 1 Teaspoon

Oil - 1 Tablespoon

Soak black-eyed beans overnight and pressure cook till tender. My Hawkins pressure cooker took 3 whistles.

Soak tamarind in 1/2 cup water.

Heat oil in a saucepan. Add mustard seeds and after they splutter, add jeera. Add fenugreek seeds and fry for a second. Do not let it brown. Add onion and garlic and fry till light brown. Add tomato and a pinch of salt and fry till the oil separates. Add turmeric, chilli powder and dhaniya powder. Add the beans and the tamarind water and let it simmer till it thickens a bit. You can add some more water if the curry is too thick for your taste. Add salt accordingly.

Garnish with coriander.

I use olive oil for health reasons and that too, a very small quantity. You can vary the amount as per your taste.

10 comments:

shilpa said...

Nice recipe Chandrika. I loove black eyed beans. This recipe is new to me.

Eve said...

I was familiar with the recipe but the photograph is amazing so wanted to comment. Its so clear that you can see even the mustard seeds and spices clearly.. Great job on photos

Eve

Ashwini said...

I am so fond of beans..they make a convenient weekday breakfast. Your version sounds interesting

Menu Today said...

Hi Chandrika,
Nice tasty curry. Thanx for sharing.

Chandrika said...

Thank you all for the nice compliments...

yamini said...

thanks 4r ur recipe

Aarthi said...

Chandrika,
simple recipe, thanks.
I was looking out for a recipe using Black Eyed Beans curry.
Thanks

Roopa said...

excellent recipe. Thanks. My family lapped it up.

VamshiKrishna said...

Hi,

It was easy and fast to cook, your recipe made my day :)

I am a student and living away from home makes me crave for my mom's amazing cooking; I am sure,Nothing in this world can beat that. But your recipe reminded my tongue of those good old days :)

Thanks

Sunandha said...

I tried this receipe today and it came out very well. Thanks for posting this.