Thursday, November 09, 2006

Potato Sticks Curry

Potato Sticks Curry

It feels so nice to be missed and that's what I infer from the comments left by my foodie friends...I apologise for keeping quiet for so long. I have been a little busy lately and have been feeling a little under the weather too. Added to this, I had my share of blogger and PC problems to deal with. But when I saw all your comments, rain or shine, I had to post. So, here it is.

This recipe is a classic from my Dh's grandma...The grand old soul is so good with cooking and even at this age, she makes sure she cooks everything by herself when her beloved grandchildren stop by... May God Bless her and keep her hale and healthy for a lot many years to come!

I have no idea if this dish has a proper name in Telugu. It's made from potatoes which are grated and fried. I will get into the details of this part later, but now here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

Potato Sticks - 4.5 cans
Oil - Around 8 Tablespoons
Curry Leaves - 20
Coriander - 1 bunch

To Be Roasted:

Urad Dal - 1/2 Cup
Channa Dal - 1/2 Cup
Jeera - 1/8 Cup

To be fried in a little oil:

Dry Red Chillies - 5 long ones
Garlic - 10 flakes

Mix the roasted and fried ingredients and grind to a fine powder.

Heat oil in a pan and add curry leaves and coriander. Fry till they wilt. Next add the ground powder and fry for a while. Take care not to burn the powder. Next add the potato sticks and stir gently over a low flame till well blended. This should take about 2 to 3 minutes. Potato sticks curry is ready!

This dish makes a yummy accompaniment for rice. Mix it with plain rice with a drop of ghee or use it as a side dish.

I used French brand potato sticks. They come in small cans of about an ounce each and cost about 50 cents. If you want to make the potato sticks from scratch (I prefer this method, but time consuming), which is back breaking enough, here's the method:



Homemade Potato Sticks:


Wash and peel potatoes. Grate them with a grater which will give you thin, but long strands. Keep the gratings soaked in salted water till you are done with all the potatoes. Wash the gratings with water to remove some of the starch. Squeeze and let dry for sometime. Use paper towels or spread it on a plate to remove the excess water. Once they are considerably moisture less, fry them in a wide pan and keep aside. Potato sticks are ready.

Potato sticks by themselves are a snack and it looks like I have given two recipes in one post!:-)


Addendum:



Just yesterday I chanced upon Meeta's MM-Give Thanks event and I felt this recipe would be befitting the event. I have a lot to thank my DH for and what could be a better way to do that than by cooking his favorite dish. My DH simply loves this recipe and could literally live on it for days together. :-)

31 comments:

Vani said...

What an unusual recipe, Chandrika! I love it!1 Can't go wrong with potatoes, that too fried! Yum! :)

Anonymous said...

Nice to see you back Chandrika. A very interesting recipe, and that photo has captured all the flavors in there. Thank you for the recipe.

Anonymous said...

The potato sticks look yummy...reminds me of the mixture variety we get at the mithai shops. Hope you are feeling better now. Take care :-)

Chandrika said...

That's true Vani, we can't resist potatoes..that too fried ones! :-)

Chandrika said...

Thanks Archana!

Chandrika said...

Thanks a lot, Priya...I am feeling quite ok....

When I first had this, I too felt the same...Though this one is much spicier...

Meena Kandlakuti said...

Nice recipe and great presentation..I love potatoes..except when I want to reduce weight;-))..Thank You Chandrika

Foodie's Hope said...

Take it easy,Chandrika! If you cannot blog , it's okay! Don't stress abt and don't say sorry.We are here.

I think we can make that curry with store bought chips instead of grating and stuff.Looks great!:))

Chandrika said...

Jeez! Thanks Asha! So sweet of you!

Ya, that was what I did..Used store bought potato sticks..But homemade ones are crispier and remain that way for long...

Chandrika said...

Thanks Meena...! Research says that eating baked or boiled potatoes actually helps reduce weight...Isn't that cool? :-)

Alison said...

Ooh.. as much as I want to stay away from potatoes (ummm, my favorite vegetable), you have now made it further more tough for me!

Btw, can I buy the potato sticks anywhere in US stores?

Chandrika said...

Alison, a little indulgence now and then should be fine..isn't it? :-)) You can get potato sticks in almost all food stores, Alison...French's is a good brand...

Anonymous said...

That pic is so tempting...the dish sounds really interesting and easy to make. Thx.

Menu Today said...

Hi Chandrika,
Excelllent Presentation!!!! Nice Curry... Thanks for sharing.

Vini K said...

H Chandrika,your curry recipe is indeed new to me.Have to try..

BTW,I added your blog to mine,hope you don't mind.Thanks.

Indira said...

Potato vepudu but in stick form. Waa re va!
You need a big stick to keep me away from this mouthwatering temptation.:)

I am glad to see you return and please take care of yourself, Chandrika!

Ashwini said...

Chandrika this reminds me of the Parsi dish..they add potato chips to a lot of curries...but a curry of potato chips? Now thats one lovely meal :-)

veggiedelight said...

The picture says it all...nice presentation

Anonymous said...

Certainly a different recipe!! Wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Good to have you back...Wonderful recipe. Thanks a lot.

Nidhi.

Shaheen said...

oh yum! i didn't we get potato sticks in a can. sounds like a spicy potato chips we get to buy in Kerala.
BTW i made ur aval laddoo and have to thank you.. it was so easy and so good!

Krithika said...

This is a wonderful recipe. Lovely pic

Sandeepa said...

good to see you back chandrika. the pic looks soooooo good

Balaji S Rajan said...

I cannot afford to put on weight. But your posts are mouth watering. I am tempted to cook and eat them. What else I can say. If the photo is very good I close your page quickly.

Anonymous said...

Are the potato sticks as big as french fries, or are they smaller?

Meeta said...

Chandrika, this looks great and certainly a must try. My better half is German and they are crazy about potatoes. Thank you for your help too ;-)) I appreciated it.

anusha said...

Dear Chandrika..God bless u and ur excellent site.. :)..really amazing..all beginners of cooking (like me...!!) will be thankful to u..keep going!

swapna said...

Hi chandrika

nice and easy recipe.i love it.thanks for sharing.

Malaysian Delicacies said...

Hi,
The dish looks really appetizing.A nice recipe.

ramya said...

hai,
this post of urs is copied.
http://eenadu.net/htm/2vnewruchi.asp

they have reversed the photo but can tell it's urs.

anusha said...

hi.......
i want to know whether home made aloo sticks are deep fried or fried with out oil..