Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Mango Pie



Mango Pie
I had been wanting to make pies for a very very long time. A couple of years I should say. Though a lot of our fellow foodies baked mouth watering pies and tempted me into the verge of trying them out, I used to shy away at the last moment. Pies seemed too complicated. Then, Meeta announced MM-Big Birthday Bang and I had to make something for this lovely lady who has such a passion for photography and shares her wonderful talent with the rest of the world. You might be wondering about this last minute rush. But my days have been packed with activity lately, as I am leaving to India on a short trip for my sister's wedding. Yet, I couldn't contain myself from wishing Meeta and here I come with a Mango Pie to the party. I finally conquered my fear about baking pies! :-) It's a simple no fuss recipe. I found the recipe for the graham cracker pie crust from the Internet and modified Paula Deen's sweet potato pie recipe.

Here is my version:

Graham Pie Crust:

30 Graham Crackers
Butter - 3 Tablespoons
Sugar - 1/4 Cup

Crush the crackers to a coarse mix. Add sugar and mix together. Melt butter and add it to the cracker and sugar mixture. Knead with hand to form a rough dough. Press into a 9 inch pie pan.


Pie Filling:

Mango Pulp - 2 Cups
Eggs - 2
Milk - 1 Cup
Sugar - 3.5 Tablespoons
Butter - 1/2 Tbsp

Mix everything together till well blended. Pour into the graham crust lined pie pan. Bake in an oven preheated to 350 degree Fahrenhiet for 1hr 15 mins or till a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

30 comments:

Meeta said...

OMG! First thank you for your sweet words and second OMG!!!! This looks yummy. Glad you decided to face pies and make this for the party!

Asha said...

YUMMY! Chandrika,looks fabulous! I made Mango Burfi:))

Dumela said...

oh man, is this the result of first time pie baking... wow, lost for words... so yummy looking, wish i could have a bite now... I'm def bookmarking it to try... thanks for the lovely recipe

bee said...

this is just beautiful.

Chris said...

I love this recipe! I made a mango pie last month and was not completely sold on it. It had cream and was heavy. I will have to try this one!

Viji said...

Heyy very good and easy recipe.I love mangoes and any item with mango:-) Thanks for sharing.

Aruna said...

Chandrika, First time commenting here, always wanted to say Ur pics are awesome and this Mango Pie is absolutely gorgeous!!! Cant take my eyes off it :) Thx.

themistressofspices.wordpress.com

Sudha said...

Thats a real mouthwatering pie..i think i should try making pies..thanks for sharing..chandrika...

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

I love mango, this sounds awesome!

Kribha said...

Looks heavenly. Love any dessert with mangoes. Bookmarking. Thanks for sharing.

Julie said...

I have never made a mango pie but after seeing yours and how delicious it looks I am going to have to give it a try.

Sharmi said...

that pie looks so awesome. beautiful pic.

Suma Gandlur said...

Gorgeous pie. Enjoy your trip.

Sukanya Ramkumar said...

Mango Pie.....Sounds different... Love it..Beautiful pictures....Never tried this before..

Prema Sundar said...

Awesome ... very good photography Chandrika . I have always admired that in ur blog.

archana said...

This one sounds too good, nice idea !

priar's, said...

WOW!!!
Ur mango pie looks great.
Thanks for sharing.

DEEPA said...

wow!!!this is so tasty ...Excellent pic ....Looks great ....

Kajal said...

Gr8...I love any type of food with mango and especially pie.....mouthwatering.....No words for great dish.:)

Inji Pennu said...

You are unblvble! Wow!

East Meets West Kitchen said...

Your mango pie looks so tempting that I have to make it tonight. Thanks for the recipe! :)

Poonam said...

Really nice post! I will definitely try your recipe soon.I recently started a food blog myself and I hope you wont mind me adding you to my blogroll. Here is the link to my blog:
http://poonamphatak.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me to your blogroll.

Balaji S Rajan said...

Hello,

Please make some 'Savouries' and put a picture and post about the recipe too. Give a break for the sweet (I hate sweet... should hate it... You know what I mean... )

IslandGirl4Ever2 said...

OMG is right!! I am in Mango Paradise!! I just LOVE your picture here.. I feel like biting into my computer screen... Wouldn't be as tasty as your pie, though! I am going to have to attempt it.. I can't find graham crackers here in France.. Do you have any other recommendations for the crust?? Merci... Leesa

Anupama said...

That looks so absolutely yummmmy!! Very nice pic.

Anupama said...

That looks absolutely yummmmmmmmmy! Very nice pic and recipe.

jai said...

The Mango pie looks yummy, would definitely give it a try. Can I use any other kind of crust ( like frozen, that is used for apple pies). Thanks.

Chandrika said...

Jai, yes..U can use any other crust like readymade frozen ones...

jai said...

thanks , Chandrika

Anonymous said...

Everyone is commenting on the picture!!! What about the recipe? Is it good? Is it worth making?? Pictures are worth a thousand words... what about the taste? Did anyone even try it?