Wednesday, November 07, 2007

AFAM - November - Dates

AFAM-Dates
WISH YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES A VERY HAPPY DIWALI! Hope you have a wonderful, fun filled time!


Onto the post now... :-)

The time has come for me to host a blog event - My very first blog event. I am both excited and nervous. Do lend me your support and help me make it memorable and successful...

AFAM (A Fruit A Month) is a wonderful event started by Maheswari of Beyond the Usual, to highlight fruits. Till now, AFAM has seen Banana, Orange, Pineapple, Apple, Watermelon, Peach, Lychee, Grapes and Strawberry. Needless to say, our wonderful blogger friends have brought out the best in all of them.

This month, I have chosen DATES! Back home in India, Dates are very common. But if you are wondering where to find it here, look no further than the dry fruit sections in your grocery stores. Popular brands like Dole and Sun Maid offer both pitted and chopped dates.

AFAM-Dates


Though fresh date fruits are available in the markets seasonally, the dried version is more common. Fresh dates ferment very quickly, while dried dates have a longer shelf life.

So, roll up your sleeves and create wonders with dates!

The rules and guidelines are as follows:

1. Prepare a dish using fresh or dried Dates in any form.

2. Post the recipe in your blog from now till December 1st, 2007 and provide a link to this post. Non-bloggers can directly send me an email with the recipe and picture.

3. Send me an email (chandrika@inbox.com) with your blog name, blog link, perma link of your post and the picture of the recipe. Please use 'AFAM-Dates' as the subject in your email.

Do not bother about resizing your pictures. Send them to me as is.

I am eagerly looking forward to all of your wonderful entries to make my first blog event a success!

Thank you all in advance!

36 comments:

Sig said...

Great theme Chandrika, good luck with hosting :)

Chandrika said...

Thank you Sig! Don't forget to send in your entry! :-)

Linda said...

Chandrika, were we on the same wavelength this evening? :) I've never cooked with dates, but I will give it a whirl! :)

sagari said...

thats a nice theme have to think for the recipe

Padmaja said...

Chandrika!!
I already know what to make already and send it over to you. It was in the finals of britains best dish, loved the recipe but didn't give it a try till now!! so my first attempt on it for your event!!

Shivapriya said...

Happy Diwali Chandrika. Nice choice. I have some in my pantry.
Good luck for the event.

Asha said...

Happy Deepavali sweetheart!! Enjoy the day tomorrow!:))
Dates! YAY! I do have a packet in the fridge, great choice.

Seema said...

Chandrika, Happy Diwali to you and your family. Dates is my fav and a great pick Chandrika. I am in. Will post something very soon.
Happy weekend!!!

Vidhya Rajesh said...

Happy diwali dear! WOW! that is a wonderful thing - your first blog event.... I don't know of anything that can be made with dates as of now, but i do want to participate in your event ... let me browse thru some stuff :)

Sandeepa said...

Love dates...great theme. Happy diwali Chandrika

Jeena said...

Lovely pictures of dates. :)

Meena Kandlakuti said...

Happy Diwali Chandrika!! and great choice for AFAM. Iam Sure this will be a great event ever in food blog:-)

bee said...

fabulous choice

Kribha said...

Happy Diwali dear and count me in for the event.

Puspha said...

Great choice. Wishing u happy deepavali too.

TBC said...

Happy Diwali, Chandrika.

Nags said...

awesome! i am definitely in!

Chandrika said...

I guess so Linda! :-) Looking forward to your entry!

Chandrika said...

Thanks Sagari, anything with dates is fine! :-)

Chandrika said...

Padmaja, that dish was in the finals of Britain's best..Now, that is very interesting..I am eagerly looking forward to your post!

Chandrika said...

Thank you Shiva Priya! Happy Diwali to you too!

Thank you Asha! :-)

Thank you Seema! I will be looking forward to your entry!

Happy Diwali to you too Vidhya dear! Take your time..

Chandrika said...

Thanks Sandeepa! Happy Diwali to you too!

Thanks Jeena! :-)

Thanks Meena! :-)

Chandrika said...

Thanks Bee! Expecting your entry soon...! :-)

Thanks Kribha! :-)

Chandrika said...

Thanks Pushpa and TBC!

Happy Diwali to you too!

Thanks Nags!

Raaga said...

http://chefatwork.blogspot.com/2007/11/date-bars.html

Here you go :-)

RAKS KITCHEN said...

I am also in..!!Thanx for choosing Dates;D

Lissie said...

Hi Chandrika, loved the theme..i have something on my mind. will send you my entry soon!

Bhawna said...

Hi Chandrika, nice to hear ur choice, I already posted my fav. dates recipe. i am not sure but can i use that recipe for ur event.
thanks
bhawna

Bhawna said...

Hi Chandrika, nice to hear ur choice, I already posted my fav. dates recipe. i am not sure but can i use that recipe for ur event.
thanks
bhawna

aparna said...

Hi,
Have sent you a date recipe for the event. Waiting for the roundup to see the other entries.

prettybaker said...

Great idea! I am new at blogging and I would love to participate. I am in Israel - the land of milk and honey....and DATES!!!
Thanks for a great idea!
Good luck and happy holidays!

Richa said...

hey, was wondering if u rcvd my email re: dates contribution? did not hear back from u, so wanted to confirm. tx

PASSIONATE BAKER....and beyond. said...

Hi Chandrika...caught the AFAM at the fag end. So am RACING!!! Trying to bake a 'Date & Walnut Loaf'...huff-puff....hopefully will post it tomorrow. First time with dates; but have been waiting to try it for ages. Thanks for the opportunity! :0)

srivalli said...

hi Chandrika...have just sent in my entry thr mail. I am sorry if I am really too late...but thanks..

Srivalli
www.cooking4allseasons.blogspot.com

Palm Wonders said...

Indeed dates are a wonderful fruit, espcecially the special varieties from Saudi Arabia such as Ajwa, Anbara and Barni.

James said...

It's a your great idea Chandrika. Fresh fruit is my common food.