Almond Milk

Almond Milk

Almond milk is a milky drink made from ground almonds. Almond milk contains no cholesterol or lactose and can be used as a substitute for animal milk in many recipes. Historically, almond milk was also called amygdalate.

Almonds are high in monounsaturated fats, the same type of health-promoting fats as are found in olive oil, which have been associated with reduced risk of heart disease.

Here is the recipe for almond milk. This is different from our usual Badam milk, which is prepared from milk. This recipe uses only water. It's a no cholesterol, low calorie drink.

Recipe:

Ingredients:

Almonds - 1/2 Cup (Blanched and Skinned)
Warm Water - 2 Cups
Cardamom - 1
Sugar - 2 Teaspoons or Honey

Roast the almonds on a low heat till they turn light brown. Soak them in warm water and refrigerate for a day. Grind with cardamom and sugar. Strain through a filter and serve.

Letting the almonds soak for a day is supposed to activate them. You can skip the soaking, if you want to make the milk immediately.

I have not used any extract to flavor this milk, as I wanted to keep it simple, natural with a low sugar content. You can add vanilla or almond extract, according to taste.

I don't have a great liking for almond skin, so I have used skinned almonds. You can use them otherwise. Almonds like other nuts containing oils, will turn rancid if not stored properly. Refrigerating almonds extends their shelf life considerably.

Comments

archana said…
Nice photo, i love the regular badam milk, will give this one a try for sure. Isn't that candy confetti used for decoration? Looks so lovely !
Chandrika said…
Ya, Archana..That's candy confetti..It was for a friend's kid... :-)
RP said…
Beautiful picture! I love almond milk.
Chandrika said…
Thanks Rp. This is not our usual badam milk...It uses only water...Let me know if you like it..
Paz said…
I've never heard of almond milk before. This is awesome!

Paz
mandira said…
Chandrika - this is new to me, I've had badam milk but never this version. Will surely give it a try.
Chandrika said…
Mandira, Paz: Thanks for stopping by...Do let me know if you liked it...And you can use this milk in gravies, etc instead of coconut or milk..without the sugar, ofcourse.. :-)
Jazmin said…
I had a question on Almond. They go rancid (bitter) quickly & since I have acidic stomach, is there a way to remove the rancidity and make the milk or halwa out of it? Can I soak it in boiled water w/ or w/out salt may be?
thanks
indianvegan said…
Hi Chandirka,

Being Vegan, I do use almond milk in various recipes including icecream, fruit custard, shakes.

Next time, gonna try it in gravy. Thanks.

Indianvegan(dot)com

Popular Posts