Hot Buttered Apple Cider

Hot Buttered Apple Cider

First of all, I owe a big apology to all my blogger friends who cared to leave a comment on my previous posts and my inability to respond to them on time. Though it could have been looked upon as arrogance or ill manners, my friends, it is not so. I had not been feeling well. A cold which turned severe and brought along with it its companions sore throat, cough and fever, has taken possession of my immune system for weeks now. Hence the delay in responding to you all...My apologies again...

During these cold ridden days, a true comfort are drinks which warm the throat and spread their goodness throughout every muscle and vessel. Of these, I prefer warm milk, tea, coffee and anything warm, including warm water. Lately when I was searching for some home remedies, I came across hot buttered apple cider. It is supposed to soothe a sore throat and an irritating cold. Well, why not give it a try? After all, I have tried sticking my head into a pot trying to inhale the Vicks infused steam! That act was nothing short of a circus with my hubby holding my head down, lest I run away in the middle and I emerging a couple of minutes later with a face reddened to beat a vine grown tomato! It did provide enough food for laughter, but didn't help clearing my cold.

So, coming back to the buttered apple cider, I simmered Apple Juice with a couple of sticks of cinnamon, added a pat of butter and a dash of nutmeg and sat down with a steaming mug to nurse that cold of mine. It worked to some extent, I should say!


Recipe:


Apple Juice or Sweet Apple Cider - 1 cup

Cinnamon sticks - 1 and a half

Brown Sugar - As per taste

Butter - a thin sliver

Nutmeg - 1 pinch


Simmer apple juice with the cinnamon sticks for about 5 minutes. Add brown sugar according to your taste. Pour apple juice in a mug and add the butter. Sprinkle nutmeg and enjoy!

Comments

Asha said…
Hi Chandrika,you don't have to apologize and take it easy when you are sick girl!
Cider looks great.Why add butter? I would skip it,it's great as it is:))
trupti said…
I love this Cider in the winter especially....this is wonderful. Your Cider looks so inviting...and its raining and cold here still....this might just warm me up!

trupti
bee said…
sorry to hear you were unwell. this drink looks beautiful and v very comforting indeed. i make spiced apple cider, but never tried it with butter.
Anonymous said…
good to know that u are feeling fine now..i'll try this hot buttered apple cider and let u know how I like it

Suma
Chandrika said…
You are so kind, Asha..I am better now..Thank you.. :-) The butter adds a different flavor, but ofcourse could be skipped..
Chandrika said…
Thanks Trupti..Cider definitely warms one up..especially in cold weather..Cinnamon really does its magic.. :-)
Chandrika said…
Bee,

I am feeling much better now, thank you...I would love to know your recipe for spiced cider...It sure is a comfort...
Chandrika said…
Sure Suma, try it and let me know...But skip the butter if you don't like it..
Kribha said…
Hey Chandrika,
I'm sick too for the past 3 days. Wish I could sip some from that cup. I have asked my hubby to get apple cider too. will try it soon. Hope my bad cold and lowgrade fever will go away.
Chandrika said…
Kribha take care..Sorry to hear that you are not well...And you need to use sweet apple cider for this recipe..or use apple juice...Hope it would help you...Get well soon...
O o this looks so cool....nice picture...great...

Popular Posts